Friday, June 13, 2008

Sharing a thoughtful post

Well I have tons to blog about, but it takes me forever and a day to post pictures on here and only half of the time I try to post pictures does it actually work, so I'm not crazy about trying it right now. We have a lot going on and I'm just "not in the mood" to post about our daily life stuff. So anyway, I thought I'd post this post I saw from one of my favorite bloggers. She has two blogs. One here and one here. This is from the second blog. I know it'll definitely fire some of you up, but as the second commenter brings up, why does it anger so many so much?? I'm going to moderate the comments on this one, because I do not want a repeat of what happened before. Enjoy:

THURSDAY, JUNE 12, 2008

Should Christians Send Their Kids to Public School?
Since we've been talking about which issues in a Christian's life are "sin" issues, and which ones are left open to interpretation, I am curious about your thoughts on Christians sending their children to public school.

Anyone who has read my other blog very long knows how I feel about this one. And even though I know Christians who send their children to ps, I can't get past, what to me, is a heap of biblical evidence--inference, if I may--that Christians should not be sending their children into such a place for the better part of the day.

Of course there isn't a verse that forbids it, since there was nothing of the sort during biblical times; and comparing the Jewish schools of the day--well it's no comparison.

So we're left with what the Bible does say about a parent's responsibility, and about receiving counsel from the ungodly.

Education philosophers, themselves, have admitted to ushering in the "religion" of secular humanism. So, can Christians, who have been given the command to teach their children the things of God, transfer the education of these children into the hands of a system that hates Him?

Most parents would argue that their school isn't "bad"...or, they know their child's teacher...or they're really involved in everything that goes on.

Even if they felt confident there was nothing inherently "bad" being taught to their children, wouldn't the principle still be strong enough to warrant heed?

More to come...but I would be particularly interested in your defense of this idea.
POSTED BY WORD WARRIOR AT 7:44 PM
3 COMMENTS:

Kim M. said...
I am boiling over this one. My sister who is a business major at a secular community college sent me this "discussion question" from her COMPUTER SCIENCE class in college. Computer science???? I think they teach these teachers to bring this stuff up in every class... Brainwashing!!!! The feminist agenda is sickening!

What do you think?

Here it is:

This is my third discussion question from my COMPUTER SCIENCE class!!

A third area of moral psychology focuses on whether there is a distinctly female approach to ethics that is grounded in the psychological differences between men and women. Discussions of this issue focus on two claims: (1) traditional morality is male-centered, and (2) there is a unique female perspective of the world which can be shaped into a value theory. According to many feminist philosophers, traditional morality is male-centered since it is modeled after practices that have been traditionally male-dominated, such as acquiring property, engaging in business contracts, and governing societies. The rigid systems of rules required for trade and government were then taken as models for the creation of equally rigid systems of moral rules, such as lists of rights and duties. Women, by contrast, have traditionally had a nurturing role by raising children and overseeing domestic life. These tasks require less rule following, and more spontaneous and creative action. Using the woman's experience as a model for moral theory, then, the basis of morality would be spontaneously caring for others as would be appropriate in each unique circumstance. On this model, the agent becomes part of the situation and acts caringly within that context. This stands in contrast with male-modeled morality where the agent is a mechanical actor who performs his required duty, but can remain distanced from and unaffected by the situation. A care-based approach to morality, as it is sometimes called, is offered by feminist ethicists as either a replacement for or a supplement to traditional male-modeled moral systems.

JUNE 12, 2008 11:26 PM
Erin said...
I am a big fan of Voddie Baucham so you can guess where my vote falls. ;-)

Something that strikes me as interesting is how offended other Christians can get when its stated that an "extra-Biblical" idea might actually have some grounding in God's Word afterall. People get very angry, or make accusations of legalism, judgement, etc. Where does this anger stem from? When someone challenges my convictions from a Biblical standpoint, I do not get angry - I search out the Word to see if there is any truth to what's been shared with me. If there is, then it gives me something to pray about and discuss with my husband. If there isn't, I just move on with my life. Why so much offense? Could it be that there is insecurity, a hint of doubt, a nudge of the Holy Spirit? Something I've been pondering alot lately.

JUNE 13, 2008 3:44 AM
Kathy, Jeff's Wife said...
If in Deuteronomy we are commanded to teach our children as we walk, sit and stand along side them, how in the world can we do that if they are rarely with us? By the time they finish the day at school, attend sports, music, clubs, etc... how much time is left for the parent's responsibility to teach?

In the public school system a child must conform to what the government text books say; it does not matter if it is right or wrong, just fill in the blank with 'their' answer and you pass.

Wonder why the literacy rates have dropped as much as they have since we started mandatory attendance of school?

One thing I often ask people is, "Do you trust the government to do the right thing with your tax dollars?" Which the answer usually is, "No". "So why trust your children to them?"

JUNE 13, 2008 6:36 AM

2 comments:

Lura said...

I thought when I originally read this, there was something about James Dobson. Am I missing it or did I read it when following one of the links?

Jamie said...

I think when following one of the links, because I saw it somewhere too. It was very interesting.