Friday, February 18, 2011

My Patriots


I think I've mentioned (probably more than anyone cares to know!) that we're studying the American Revolution and have been since September. Well, while we were in Disney last November, we couldn't pass us the chance to purchase tri-cornered hats and muskets in the American Pavilion at EPCOT. (It was just an accident that Abby had a braid with a bow in her hair. It really added to the accuracy!!) It was perfect timing too, because when we stepped back outside we were able to watch the Spirit of America Fife and Drum Corps march in front of us! I loved watching Noah and Abby standing there in their hats watching! So cute!

Back home, Joshua wanted to wear the hat and looked mighty cute in it too!! I'm pretty sure when we go to Disney again in March we'll be purchasing him one!!



I love this shot!! My two courageous boys, ready to fight!!


And of course my girl is no wimp either!! She's ready in a "minute". She's our little "Molly Pitcher". Ready to jump in when needed!!

We'll be taking the hats with us when we take our trip to Boston and Philadelphia in April. I can't wait to watch my kids run across the Old North Bridge with their hats and guns, re-enacting the scene from the first day of battle. It's these things that I know they'll never forget and just cements in their memories the history that made this country. I just love it.

1 comment:

Char said...

Way cool! Love the hats!!
We are doing the American Revolution this year as well. I found a great, fun, hands-on book to use called Easy Make and Learn Projects Colonial America. It is a Scholastic book. You are probably past studying this time period, but I know there are other Easy Make and Learn books out there.
We did a unit on Native American tribes as well and I found this awesome book called "History Pockets Native Americans". They are by Evan Moor publishing. I know they have a book on Life in Plymouth Colony, Explorers, Colonial America, Moving West, and so on. Travis loved doing the projects and I just filled in more information using library books or books I have here at home. If your kids enjoy hands on project type lessons, they will enjoy these.