Monday, August 16, 2010

Diaper Derby

Joshua participated in a diaper derby at a grocery store in the Dayton area. When we got there, we realized this was a bit bigger than we expected. We got our number 18 sticker on and waited. Baby after baby was arriving. I thought there'd be maybe 10 babies, no it turned out to be 21!! So they divided the babies up into groups of 3 or 4 and had each set race. Then the winners of the races would race again to determine 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners. Steve had to stay home and take Jasmine to the vet for an eye emergency, so I needed the help of Noah and Abby to make this work. Noah placed him at the starting line and also ran the video camera for me and Abby took all of the pictures while I had to coax him down at the finish line. The first race started out slowly. It was soooo loud in there and he couldn't here me calling him or clapping or anything. I thought it was over!!

The other parents were very distracting to him. He didn't even know I was waiting for him!

Finally, he turned around and saw me and starting coming towards me. He got about half way and then stopped again. I showed him my Iphone (he loves that thing!) and he came towards me again. This time he zoomed right up and crossed the finish line first!! I couldn't believe it!! So we waited for the other races to finish and then the 7 first place finishers all raced at the same time.

Again, he was distracted, but this time he noticed me quicker. It was so funny because he would go a little bit and then stop and look around, then go a little more and stop again!! It seemed like forever before he finally made it to the finish line and he just barely crossed before the girl next to him!! He actually crossed the finish line in 3rd place!! I was so excited!!

So out of 21 babies, we got 3rd place!! Yay, go Joshua!! And his winnings were a package of diapers and a pack of wipes. All the babies got gift bags with a bottle of water, a banana, a box of sesame street cookies and a travel wipes container. It was a lot of fun and so cute! I'm so thankful for my two big kids who just stepped right in and helped out without even a thought. So blessed.

2 comments:

Lura said...

He's already earning his keep. Ha ha. :)

SamandSawyersMom said...

HOW AWESOME! I would have been so proud!! I wish I had done that when my boys were little.