Friday, November 16, 2007

Why am I so sad??

I heard the news this morning about the passing of Joe Nuxhall and for some reason, it really hit me hard. I hadn't been nearly so affected when I heard of his health problems through the years, but I guess just knowing that we'll never hear his voice again, really got to me. I grew up in a baseball lovin' family. My brother played for many, many years and my family and I spent all of our summers out there rooting him on. We were also big Reds lovers (still are!!), and I grew up listening to Marty and Joe as if there were no other radio voices out there. My dad used to have to work really early and so he would go to bed early and I remember that he would always go to sleep during the summer with the Reds game on his clock radio. I sometimes went in there to get something and would hear those familiar voices. I guess it's just kind of hard to let go of something so big from my childhood. We were very passionate about baseball. I would have never guessed though, that this would hit me so hard. I cried when I heard it, I cried as I drove to Wal-Mart and listened to Marty on 700 talking about him, I cried as I watched them do such a beautiful job of remembering him on 9 news this noon, and now as I type I cry again. Why? Is it the man or my childhood memories that I mourn? I"m not sure, but I know he will be missed. Thanks for so many wonderful memories!!!

3 comments:

Carrie said...

Funny you should post about this...I feel the same way. I think its the mourning of childhood that has hit me the hardest. MOstly because it reminds me of my grandpa. He passed away in 1999, but growing up I remember sitting in my grandparents backyard listening to the Reds on the radio. NOw with the passing of Joe Nuxhall its like I am mourning my grandpa and childhood all at the same time. I cried when I heard the news this morning too...funny how someone I have never met brings me so many fond memories of my grandpa.

Crystal said...

Shawn is very sad about this too. We are huge baseball fans and big sport fans in general. It does make me sad that we won't hear his voice anymore. I think it hit alot of people pretty hard for the exact sames reasons you mention.....his voice and name are connected to alot of peoples childhood memories.

SamandSawyersMom said...

wow, i am sorry for all of you and your loss. he is from hamilton