Monday, August 24, 2009

Update - Children's Hospital Day

It was a long day and I'm very tired, in fact I'm typing this while lying in bed, so this will be the abbreviated version and I'll give more details tomorrow.


Everything went well. I had the ultrasound, MRI (which was not great as I'm a tad claustrophobic), and unexpected Fetal Echo on his heart, the tour of the RCNIC, and all the meetings and everything went great. We met with the surgeon and he told us the cyst could be one of two types, both requiring surgery 12-24 hours after his birth. One is a tad more serious in that it could cause more complications. The surgeon is leaning towards the better of the two types and we're happy about that. This type has no connection to Cystic Fibrosis and the other type has about an 8% of CF. So either way our chances for CF are pretty small right now. Praise God!! His heart was absolutely perfect on the Echo. At least as much as they could see. He had no congenital defects. He weighs about 6 lbs 6 ozs right now and is still breech.

The plan is to just wait out the next few weeks as he is no immediate danger right now and then deliver him close to the due date. The doctors agreed that this problem would not prohibit a normal delivery (no c-section). Only the breech position is what may make us have to go that route at this point and they thought we should be fine having our regular OB try to move him with the procedure they do and I might get to have a regular delivery. Oh I hope so!!! Even with the cyst doubling the size of his belly, they thought I'd be fine to deliver him.

So after he's born, he'll go to Children's and have the surgery and then the plan right now is that he'll be able to go home in 7-10 days. I spoke to many different people today including the surgeon about the breastfeeding and they are super supportive of it and provide pumps and bottles and all kinds of help to make sure they can give the baby the breastmilk right away. He will most likely be tube fed at first, but they'll feed him the breastmilk in the tube. I'm so excited about that too!!

Overall it was great news. They said hopefully we'll just get the surgery and recovery done and that'll be it. He should be fine after that. Again, Praise the Lord!!!

The people there at the hospital were so wonderful. They never took any shortcuts and made sure they were completely thorough in all their tests and assessments. They also treated us so well. I can't say enough about them.

Well I better rest now, I'm soooo tired. Oh and I had my other shower yesterday and I'll talk about that tomorrow as well! Thanks for everyones prayers!!

5 comments:

Amanda said...

I am so glad that you got some positive news! It sounds like you are in very capable hands and that Poppy will get wonderful treatment.

I hope that you get to deliver naturally, your recovery will be much faster and easier!

The triplets were all tube fed for awhile and were given breastmilk that way. I was so glad to be able to give them that. There was really no difficulty, other than being premature, in getting them to nurse afterwards. Take full advantage of the nurses in the NICU. They are wonderful!!

I continue to pray for you and yours.

Lura said...

Glad it was good news! I'm sure that you are glad to have today over with and armed with more knowledge about what is in store for the future! Will keep praying for a healthy delivery and healthy baby boy! :)

SamandSawyersMom said...

Oh Jamie, what a relief. I am glad that you could possibly deliver normally and that you can still give him the Master's Liquid Gold as I call it. I know that would be so important to me regardless of how he was born or where he was. I would want him to have it either way and it looks like they are going to make sure you can give him that much needed milk.
I feel so much better about things as I am sure you do. The low risk of CF is such great news too. We will pray that he does not have it.
I hope your showers went well and you cleaned up.

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Oh one more thing, since the baby may not be the one stimulating your breast, milk production may be a little low. My advice is that you read up now on the foods that promote milk production and flow. Kim swears by them since she has a low milk supply just naturally. You may not have any problems but whenever I had to pump, I got a lot less. Pumping often will help and especially if you double pump, that always made my milk flow like there was no tomorrow. I had surgery 5 weeks after Sammy was born and had to pump only for 4-5 days. It is difficult to double pump but I am sure someone will hold one side on for you. Just a thought.

SamandSawyersMom said...

Also, if you were to have anyone discourage breast feeding (it sounds crazy but happened with both my births) just ask for the lactation nurse right away. She will usually fight for you. It sounds like they will have it all set up ahead of time but if not, push baby push. We had to. I refused to give Sawyer a bottle until a DOCTOR told me to after the nurse insisted. Suddenly her tune changed when I wanted to hear from a doctor. Sometimes and only sometimes nurses get lazy and want the easy way. Hopefully you won't run into that. I just did ALOT.

Char said...

Sounds like a lot of positive news happened today! I'm so happy for you!!
I agree with Sonya - make sure you fight for your right to nurse. Some people sure aren't very supportive with that decision.