Sunday, August 2, 2009

Pregnancy week 31

I had my doctor appointment on Thursday. It seems I have a few issues, nothing that seems to be really alerting the doctor, but is unsettling to me anyway.

My blood pressure is high and teetering between hypertensive and prehypertensive. Previously my blood pressure had been very normal as in around 116/63 and is now right around the 140/90 mark, sometimes more, sometimes less. So that's a pretty big jump from my normal.

I've had a bit of swelling in the feet and hands, nothing too terrible, but enough to keep me in flip-flops only for awhile now!

My belly is also measuring quite bigger than it's supposed to be, which is also a change from my previous appointments. I'm 31 weeks now and it's normal to measure anywhere between 29 and 33 cm for 31 weeks. Well I"m measuring 38 cm.

And finally, I gained 8 pounds in just this last 4 weeks. Now keep in mind, previous to this, I had only gained 2-3 pounds the entire pregnancy (I lost almost 8 pounds in the first couple months).

So with all those fun symptoms, I earned myself another ultrasound visit!! She thinks I could be just retaining water, which would explain the weight gain, bigger belly and swelling. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I won't have the ultrasound until the 13th, and then I'll also meet with the doctor the same day. So hopefully we'll get some answers. In the meantime, I'm trying to take it easy (as much as I can with our new school schedule and baby projects to finish), lower my sodium intake to try and help with the fluid retention and blood pressure and monitoring the numbers. We ordered our own blood pressure cuff and stethoscope which should be here by Monday or Tuesday.

As much as this has been a surprise to us, we know it wasn't a surprise to God. He already knew this was going to happen and He already knows what's going to happen later. And I feel a lot of peace with that. It's easy to get all worried, especially when you google the symptoms (not that I'd know anything about that!!), but worrying hasn't yet changed a diagnosis, so I'm trying my best to remain positive and let it all be in His hands!!

And the good thing is, we get to see Poppy again in the ultrasound!! I'm excited about that!!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

God is in control!

I am so glad to see how positive you are remaining. What good does worrying do?!
I am praying for you and am interested to hear what the dr. says.
Lots of love coming to you from here!!!

SamandSawyersMom said...

Praying that God continues to give you as much peace and calm as possible. I remember something similar happening with my pregnancy with Sammy. I freaked out. I changed my diet completely and that is all it took. Of course, you are much further in your pregnancy than I was. Glad to hear that you are reminding yourself WHO is in control and still on the throne.