Friday, July 6, 2007

a not much weekend

Hello all, I gave my BB8 synopsis on Sonya's blog this morning, so check there for that!! If you're interested in finding things out as they happen and not wait on the show, this is the website I use http://www.mortystv.com/big_brother.shtml

We don't have much to do this weekend. Abby doesn't have a game, they took off both weekends around the 4th I guess to be sure people would be there. I think we're going to put up our tent tomorrow, to make sure we know what we're doing and don't look a fool next weekend!!! We're also going to start working on our schoolroom. I like the idea of having a designated work area that I can leave their stuff on and not worry about it. If we used a kitchen table or something, we'd have to clean it up all the time to use it to eat, and that would mean we'd probably end up eating somewhere else, like the couch!!! Which we've never done in this house, probably because the breakfast table is right behind the couch which is in full view of the plasma t.v. hung above the fireplace. So no need to sit at the couch to see the t.v.!!! Most times, we turn it off at dinner, but lunch is a different story!! So we're moving Steve's office to the basement which will work out best for several reasons. One is that he be able to get much more privacy down there from me and the kids. That way he can have quiet time to do his work and make his tons of phone calls. It will also give me some space for the kids to be downstairs (when they're not schooling) that's away from us. Sometimes, they come down and just roll around the couch, make big messes, be really loud, etc..when we're trying to talk or watch something and it's frustrating, because they desperately don't want to go all the way back upstairs. So now I can just tell them to go into the other room, and I think they'll actually enjoy that solution!! I hope anyway. So tonight, I think we're going to move Steve's desk down. We're eventually going to build another finished room to add on the already finished space, but in the temporary he'll just be in the Bengal room. And the kiddies will end up with two playrooms plus their bedrooms, so maybe we can get some peace in the other rooms...fingers crossed!!! We're debating how much toys will be allowed in the class/playroom. I was thinking, puzzles, games, videos, the v-smile, books, things of that nature, not just any toy, but Steve didn't want there to be any toys as they might be a distraction. What do you think? I just don't think the room they learn in shouldn't show signs of being fun, well I usually win these arguements, but I was curious what you thought. Well that should be all for the weekend except church of course. I hope everyone enjoys their weekend, and keep watching BB8 this Sunday night!!!

9 comments:

SamandSawyersMom said...

I don't really have an opinion (yeah it can happen) as I have no experience with homeschooling. I do think that it is special to make a special room for it. How about toys that only go in there? That might make it special and more inviting. Maybe you could set up an incentive program that you put on the wall and give them school Bucks or something and then let them buy "school room toys" with the bucks like a little store. They would always be learning type toys like large floor puzzles, history dvds, manipulatives like mag tastics, legos etc.

Or you could not have any toys in that room but fill it with art supplies that the kids can do anytime they want. Fill it chalk full of mini bins with glitter, paper, glue, wavy and regular scissors, popscicle sticks, sponges, paint, yarn, string, painting toothbrushes, Painting combs, staplers, journals, markers, colored pencils, hotwheels for painting....everything! The Art Bucks would buy them another fun art supply to add to the room from your Art Store. Just a thought or 10.

I am still a bit heated over the Kaysar talk but I helped anyway.

Carrie said...

I think its a good idea to not really have any toys in the "school room" except the ones you mentioned. Because those are really learning toys too. I think it would be nice to show the kids there classroom can be fun too. Not so much of toy toys, but again like the toys you had mentioned puzzles, v smile etc...

Sonya's idea is good too with the art supplies along with the incentive program...she always has such good ideas!!!

Amanda said...

I like their thoughts. I agree you don't want the room to be distraction, but you also don't want it to be stuffy and boring. Use lots of color and make it look like a fun place to learn. You can have alot of fun with it.
My mom was a kindergarten teacher and my sis is a 5th grade and they had/have the funnest rooms and kids love it! My mom had an old claw foot tub that an artist painted up neat and it was the rub a dub dub read in a tub. The kids loved to take turns sitting in there and reading.

Crystal said...

Oh Amanda, that tub idea is too freakin cute!!!! Jamie, you will have so much fun making this room! I vote for educational toys and have them earn time with those by using the bucks or something like that.........great ideas from everyone and I can't wait to see pictures and to follow your journey of homeschooling.......you are going to be fantastic at it girl!

SamandSawyersMom said...

do you have showtime or not??

Jamie said...

no we don't have any of the movie channels

SamandSawyersMom said...

oh okay.. i will keep the tape incase it is good but it sounds like it is not going to be.

Lura said...

I think a separate room is a good idea. Tim and I are going to build on out in the shop. Then the boys will have to "go" to school. I think keeping the educational toys in there is good. I have a cool classroom pic from the internet, if I can find it, I will post it or send you the link. It was the coolest thing. It had a reading "loft". There was so much in the room that it was almost overwhelming! I can't believe the effort some teachers put into their room only to have to take it down again.

Char said...

I would for sure have a seperate room for school. I think it's great that you have that option. For the first few years I homeschooled Jacob in our walk in bedroom closet. I loved it because it was big enough for his little table and it had a window in there. I had a wipe board on the wall and cork on the back wall to put up posters or his work. I would let Travis come part way in and he had a bin of stuff to play with, but most times I schooled Jacob during Travis' nap time. I also had Travis stay in his room to play for a little bit if I really needed some time with Jacob. Anyway, I had bins in there and Todd put in book shelves. It was actually very cool.
Now we school down here in the corner of our dining/living room. I'll have to take a picture when it is cleaner... ha! Anyway, one wall has a cork board and the other wall has a small wipe board/cork board. I have a teaching calendar up for Travis and 2 book shelves against the wall. There are posters up of different things they need to know, like a money chart, percent charts and things like that. I hang their work up on the cork board too.
On the one book shelf there are art supplies, math manipulatives, flash cards and a bunch of other stuff like that. The other book shelf is where their school books, library books and other books are as well as pencils, paper and Jacob's microscope. I need to do some rearranging and cleaning so after I do that I'll take a picture. Now that I have an official school desk I want to add it to the corner some how. I want them to have their own space instead of the dining table because we end up pushing every thing to the center of the table to eat, OR eating on the couch or whatever. I want them to be able to do projects and me not have to take them down everytime we want to eat.
I do know that having school in a little room is so much better than the living room. There are so many distractions down here!! The phone, tv, kitchen, laundry, the front door, etc, etc..... In our tiny room we could close the door to my room if we wanted to and I had Jacob's full attention. He is very easily distracted. I don't know if your kids are or not. I have a hard time sometimes too because I see my kitchen and dirty dishes, I think of all the things in my house I need to do. So be careful of that distraction too. Pick a time that you will do nothing to your house until after that time. OR, get up before the kids and do it then.
I hesitate doing too elaborate of an incentive program with the kids but that is your choice. :) My kids just know that they have to do school. That is their job and they are to do it. There are some things they won't like to do and some things they will love doing. That is life. I have a little sign up that says "Sometimes there is nothing you can do but suffer through it!" Jacob hates it when I say that to him but it is true! My job is to make sure they have the best education I can give them. Their job is to learn. I do have stickers that I give to them sometimes, or book marks, or pencils and erasers. But they aren't an expected thing for doing well, they are just nice little "your doing a great job" gifts.
Of course you'll have several book shelves for books, magazines, puzzles and math manipulatives.
I'm excited for you! I think it'll be great. Let me know if you need anything! I've been doing this for years!! haha!
Good luck! Take a picture of your school room when you are all done.