Wednesday, June 27, 2007

My turn to copy and paste!!

I thought Sonya would like to add this article to her stash of pro-breastfeeding papers. It's very interesting..


Breastfeeding decline in Asia-Pacific region linked to infant deaths



WEDNESDAY, June 20 (HealthDay News) — A decline in breastfeeding is associated with the deaths of 160,000 infants each year in the Asia-Pacific region, UNICEF regional advisor Stephen Atwood said Wednesday at a breastfeeding conference in the Philippines.

UNICEF told delegates that just 35 percent of infants in the Asia-Pacific region are exclusively breastfed in the first four months of life, Agence France-Presse reported.

Infants less than five months old who aren't exclusively breastfed are much more likely to develop diarrhea and pneumonia, conditions that can be deadly in developing nations.

UNICEF and the World Health Organization told delegates that the low prevalence of breastfeeding poses "an alarming threat to child survival" and urged Asia-Pacific leaders to do more to promote breastfeeding and to warn their citizens about "the dangers of breast milk substitutes," AFP reported.

-- HealthDay News

Source:
Copyright © 1997-2007 ScoutNews, LLC. All rights reserved.
What you can do
Breastfeed your child if you can. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends breastfeeding your baby for at least the first year of life, and longer if both you and your child wish to continue.

6 comments:

Crystal said...

Interesting! Uhm, this is a cut and paste! You will probably get grounded like I did! SM

SamandSawyersMom said...

No, she posted too. Besides, i can't ground her from calling me when she never does!!

Amen sister! I wish more people undertsood that we have the cure (for alot of cases) to cancer and other diseases in our bodies. It is such a no brainer to me. I think going longer than a year would be great but very hard for most. I went 13 months and it about killed me. My breasts still thank me for the downtime.

Carrie said...

I am glad I don't live there, considering I didn't breastfeed!!!

SamandSawyersMom said...

have a fun weekend

no matter how fun it is, you'll have more fun =during "our" weekend

Char said...

Hi Jamie! Just wanted to say Hi! :)

SamandSawyersMom said...

are you home safely??