Friday, October 26, 2007

Native American History













Here's some pics of our learning adventure on Native Americans. We started with Cherokee where we learned they made a lot of baskets and mats, so we weaved placemats, and that they used corn and cornmeal a lot in their cooking, so we made cornmeal cookies. Noah read us the recipe where he learned more about fractions and how to read recipes. They both love cooking and baking!! I let them take turns putting the ingredients in and stirring. The cookies are actually pretty good, they are like a cross between a corn muffin and a sugar cookie. Today we talked about the Shoshone Indians. They lived in the Great Basin area (Nevada, parts of California, Utah, Oregon and Idaho), and they moved around a lot looking for food, so they lived in tipi's so that they could take their homes with them. So we made a tipi in the kitchen around the breakfast table. We ate lunch in there (yes, even Daddy ate in there with us!!) and then read more about the Shoshone and made bread beads for necklaces all while we sat in our tipi!! That was fun, something I think the kids will remember! They will probably ask me to build a tipi all the time now!!! After our bread beads dry overnight, we can paint them and then make bead necklaces with them. It's been a good study so far. Next week we're going to visit a few of the Indian Mounds that are local to our area and then the following week we're going up to the Sunwatch Indian Village in Dayton. The kids have been excited for this unit study and it shows in their willingness to participate and learn. It's really a good study!!

10 comments:

Jamie said...

Ok, I did not write it in pink, or red whatever it is, but cool!!!

Jamie said...

Oh, I get it, it's somehow connected to the pic of Abby and if you click on the words, it brings up that picture!! How did I do that!!! Who knows!!

Char said...

how cool! that looks like so much fun! Can we come play too? haha!

Crystal said...

That's really neato!!! You get to do such fun things to teach your kiddos! That's awesome!

Amanda said...

Cool lessons! The kids really look like they are having fun. I hope the field trips are lots of fun! Looking forward to the pictures...

Carrie said...

That is really neat. I love the tipi very fun!

I feel like I learn when I read your blogs! Thanks...I need it :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Jamie
I don't believe you know this but my dad's mom was part cherokee indian.her mom was a full blooded cherokee indian.if i learn anything more i will let you know.
love you all.
PaPaw Haney

SamandSawyersMom said...

that is sooooo cool. Oh I bet they are having a blast. I keep thinking of how scary it is to send my child into this cold world next year. He seems so young.

I love that you do so many aspects of one lesson. That is great but it exhausts me looking at all the work it entails.

Jamie said...

No, I didn't know that Papaw, the kids would be thrilled to hear that they have Cherokee in their blood!!! Let me know what else you find out!!

SamandSawyersMom said...

i laugh everytime i see those flashing pink words