Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Day 19- Finally Feeding!!

Today is day 19 (yesterday was day 18) of Joshua's life and hospital stay. That leaves us with 87 days until Christmas and a hopeful homecoming. I missed yesterday's update post because I had the night shift at the hospital and didn't get home until almost 11pm and was just too tired to do it.

They have started feeding Joshua in his lower portion of intestines, because the study done on the lower portion showed no blockages. The majority of his intestines are in the lower portion, below where they cut to make the stomas. Because of this, they are comfortable feeding him through there because it can really be digested since it's so long. They started out feeding him breastmilk last night and he fed on that for about 15 hours, then they decided to switch him to a special formula because they felt like since they were bypassing the stomach, the breastmilk may not be being properly digested. I went from so happy to so bummed. At least he got the 15 hours worth! I am however, still very happy that he is feeding at all. I'll take any step forward that I can get! He is being fed continuously through the stoma at the rate of about 2ml per hour right now. He has gained weight again and is close to 8 pounds now. He will be having a study done on the upper portion of intestines either tomorrow or Thursday. Hopefully they'll be able to figure out what is causing the back up there so they can begin oral tube feedings and get rid of that horrible nasal tube and get him back on breastmilk. He has had 3 dirty diapers since starting the feedings yesterday, which is great news!! That means things are working down there as they should!!


Such a sweet little angel!!

The pump set up with breastmilk last night!! I was so excited, I took pictures of everything!! The tag on the tube says human milk!! Soon we'll be back to breastmilk, I know it!!

I guess his jersey was good luck for the Bengals!! Yay!!! I just know they were thinking of this sweet little baby sitting in his hospital crib rooting for them when they won!! At least they should be!!

I had my 2 week check-up today. I'm healing just fine. My blood pressure is now down to normal and I can stop taking the medication for it. I've also lost 35 pounds since giving birth! That's a lot for 19 days!! I only gained 15 during the pregnancy, so I'm down 20 from my pre-pregnancy weight. It's the NICU diet. I only have time to eat quick meals and no time for snacking, plus all the stress is I'm sure helping out as well.

Well I'm off for now. It's dinner time and the kiddies are hungry. I'll update tomorrow if all goes as planned! Oh and I wanted to thank everyone for the kind emails and comments on here. I appreciate it so much. It really helps me get through the days when I get so much love and encouragement. So thank you all so much, you're all appreciated!!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Wonderful news for your blood pressure and congrats on the weight! That must feel good, and the b.p. has to be a relief to get that back to normal.

Joshua looks as cute as ever! He is such a little doll. Wonderful news on the breastmilk. Try not to get discouraged with the switch to formula for a bit. He will eventually be all breast milk (or human milk as the tag says! that cracked me up!).
All of you continue to be in our prayers. Lots of love your way!

Char said...

That is great Joshua is feeding now! What a relief for you. It had to of been torture to know your precious baby was hungry for real food but you couldn't do anything about it. :( He'll be back on breast milk before you know it and like you said, he got 15 hours worth of it in him. The very first thing he ate was breast milk! Yeah!
Yeah for the dirty diapers!
I'd take pictures of everything too. I regret not taking more! I"m glad you have a private room and can pump right there. Also glad you are healing well.
Joshua is adorable and I'm loving every picture you can post!!