Saturday, March 3, 2007

Happy 50th Birthday Dad!!


The Birthday Boy


Opening his cards, we all gave him money to have his pooltable recovered!!


Me, my girl and my mama all dressed up to party!!!


My papaw was in the aloha spirit with his orange lei and umbrella in his hat!!!


My mamaw was beautiful in her flower lei!!


My Dad's siblings: sister in law Karen, brother Tim, sister Jackie, nephew Zach and brother in law Dewayne


Abby and Noah playing with Riley, he just laughed at them!!


The cake!!


My Dad and his parents!!


Me and the Riles!!!

Last night was my Dad's 50th Birthday party. My mom and I had suspected that he knew something was going on he just didn't know when it might happen, but as it turned out, he was completely clueless!! He thought that he and my mom were going to dinner and that they had to wait for me to come first, so I could give him his present. Well me and the kids showed up first and he was sitting in the basement and the kids went down and layered tons of leis on him and he still had no idea what was going on and then I came down with a huge bunch of balloons and he still didn't know. I then mouthed it to my mom that he wasn't catching on and I said out loud to her, will you help me get some stuff out of the car? And he said what stuff and we just said oh some stuff (he probably thought it was his gift) and when we came in with lots of party decorations and a crock-pot full of food, he was starting to understand!! He said what's all this for and my mom said a party, and he said what party, and she said gee, I wonder whose Birthday it is today!! Then I yelled surprise, it's your 50th Birthday party and he just smiled!! He said whose coming and we said all of the family and they'll be here in an hour!! I think he actually was happily surprised, which was the goal!! I brought him some old school pictures his mama gave me to give him and the whole time me and mom were getting things ready he was going through every kid's picture and trying to remember who they were and telling us whose parents they are now, etc...I think he was thrilled with just that!! It ended up being a really great party, almost everyone was able to make it. They all picked on me for my themeing and all the little things I do like decorate the cups with drawn on leis and names (most people didn't realize they had names on them and ended up being someone else for the evening!!), and the icecubes that had little drink umbrellas frozen in them so we could have tropical drinks!! They all picked on me for it all, but I truly think they thought it was really neat!! The food came out better than expected, I got many compliments on my bbq pulled pork, especially my Dad,he raved about it and it was for him in the first place so that was good. They also really enjoyed the game I made which really surprised me (thanks Sonya!!). I sat out 10 pictures of him in various spots in the house and they had to find them all and then guess his age in all of them. It really shocked me how much they enjoyed it, even my grandparents were up searching for them!! The winner only got 3 right, so they were pretty hard though!! Well I hope he feels loved and tonight he can have his dinner out!!

9 comments:

Lura said...

Sounds like a great birthday for him! How was the pineapple coleslaw?

Jamie said...

The pineapple cole slaw went over really well actually!! Here is the recipe:
8 cups shredded cabbage (I used a mixture of green and purple)
2 cups of crushed pineapple
1 c toasted almonds
1 tsp salt
2 Tblsp sugar
2 Tblsp mustard (yellow or spicy, I just used yellow)
3/4 c mayonnaise
2 Tblsp vinegar

shred the cabbage and add in the pineapple and almonds, mix well. In seperate bowl whisk together the salt, sugar, mustard, mayonnaise and vinegar and then pour over cabbage mixture and stir well, that's all!!

I made it and a regular variety and the pineapple one was much emptier than the regular, so I guess they really liked it!!

SamandSawyersMom said...

wow,it sounds great. i am sure they had fun. parties are my favorite. he looks really happy.

SamandSawyersMom said...

i guess you had not realized that your children are matchie matchie. Also, I love Riley's bumbo. We have one of those! I love them. When did he get his? ours in purple cause Target kept selling out of them and that is all they had.

SamandSawyersMom said...

i am going to do a BUMBO page

Jamie said...

I knew the kids were matchy matchy, I got them on clearance last year at Gymboree, but what you don't know is that Steve and I were also matchy matchy!!!

SamandSawyersMom said...

oh my goodness. he allowed that? Go Steven!

SamandSawyersMom said...

so much for posting once a day..i want to see some excitement for our paradise in 6 days....a whole lotta absolutely's.

Char said...

It looks and sounds like an awesome time!! Yummy coleslaw!