Tuesday, April 17, 2007

So today Abby's school did a lockdown drill. I guess in light of the terrible tragedies that occured yesterday, they wanted to check their preparedness. Now Abby thinks every little sound she hears means she has to go hide in the corner. I just hate this. Why does an entire nation's sense of security have to be crushed by one man's actions. I feel so horribly for the whole school community and their families. I just wish I could dig a whole and crawl into it and never come out. It's just so hard to go out into public or even our homes sometimes, and worry about what could be around the corner. I know that I just have to suck it up and live life anyway, although things like this make me not really want to. It really does make me stop to think about how every single minute in life should be lived with love and happiness. Our children will grow up, my husband and I will get older and until it's over, I really should just let these silly differences, insignificant problems just go. I know for sure that if this had happened to my family, I would have lived with the guilt of knowing that I wasted so much time on stupid stuff, instead of on how much I loved that person and how much I enjoyed being with them and just cherishing each moment. It just seems so silly to worry about shelves in the pantry, when these people are devestated. I also hate that this tragedy caused the death of 33 people and yet everyday in war torn countries these kinds of tragedies are occuring daily and it barely makes a blip in our lives . Why? Are they not mothers, fathers, sons, daughters too? Were they not also conceived by God? I'm as guilty of it as anyone. I hear it in passing and never let it get further than that. I guess we can't or we'd be overwhelmed with grief. Maybe we should pray for their souls and let this make a lifetime change in our lives. To make sure those whom we love and care for know it and to spend every moment we can showing them. So that whenever time comes to end for them, we can be happy knowing we got every last drop of happiness we could from them, no regrets. I know that's what I intend to do, well that and put up shelves in the pantry, I mean a girl needs storage!!! Sorry, so depressing, it's just what's on my mind right now.

4 comments:

Carrie said...

I totally agree with you. Up until 2 months ago when I had Olivia, my whole perception of life changed. Each day we see the news and someone else got shot in over the rhine and we become numb to it all. We need to pray for those mothers and fathers who will never see there children again. They will never have the joy of having grandchildren from the one they lost. And you wonder what the murderers mother must be thinking and feeling too.

Char said...

I hear ya!
It breaks my heart and in some ways I'd just rather not know these things. It only makes me feel like digging that hole too. It can really get to me and get me very down. It's just senseless and it's something I will never understand.
I am happy to have my children home with me, but something could happen anywhere at anytime in their lives, ya know!!
Live life to the fullest, that's for sure! One of my favorite sayings is this: "Don't postpone your joy!"

Crystal said...

It is a crazy world we live in....scary stuff!

SamandSawyersMom said...

wow, what a post.

While I believe that we should enjoy every second I do think we still have to fight for rights and for what we believe in even if that does not go along with our hope of peace all the time. I know at my grandma's funeral, her strength and ability to speak her mind and fight for what she beleived in was what everyone said that they admired!

I feel so badly for thiese families. I would be devasted if that was one of my boys. It is all too real.