Friday, December 8, 2006

Ok now, to a real issue!!

What is with this controversy over the new smoking ban? I can't even begin to tell you how happy I was to check the box in favor of a state wide smoking ban back in November and even more ecstatic when I found out it would take affect on my Birthday!! We celebrated yesterday by going to Frisch's and BREATHING in the clean air. They didn't ask what section we wanted to sit in and we didn't object when they placed us close to the old smoking section. Finally I could take my children to a place like this and not worry about having to wait awhile for a table far away from the smokers. And yet, later in the day I hear their trying to stop it at least for six months until monitoring is available. WHAT??? I just can't believe this is even an issue. We have the right to breathe clean air, and this is just so ridiculous. The people have spoken (not the government as some like to complain are taking away their rights), we voted, we decided and we shouldn't have to wait another second to enter any establishment and be able to breathe clean air. These people would never allow someone to back their car into their living room and pump exhaust fumes at them, or allow a big manufacturing plant to run their smoke stack into their home, but we have to breathe in their poisonous fumes because they can't wait an hour until they've finished their meal and are secured in their vehicle on the way home, or even just standing outside enjoying the fresh air that God has provided for our breathing enjoyment to do their "business". Come on, when the effects of second hand smoke became public this should have been the law from that moment on. Get with it people, we're tired of your habits ruining our meal, ruining our evening and ruining our health. Please stop it!! AAAAHHH, now I feel so much better and I'm going to sit in my house and feel so good knowing that not only am I not breathing in that nastiness, but I work very hard to keep my kids away from it as well, which is just the way it should be......

2 comments:

SamandSawyersMom said...

Amen sister. The thing we have to do is complain complain complain. If a establishment is allowing it, we have to ask for a manager right away. They said on the news that most places do not want to break the law for the sake of saving a few smoker's business. If they had a brain in their heads they would realize that eventually the smokers will be mad and stay away anyway so they should make the non-smokers happy. Duh! It will happen eventually and I can't wait to finally be able to take my kids bowling.

Crystal said...

I was vey happy with the new law!!! And, I am a smoker. I hate that I smoke and I am on meds to help me quit. I think its a nasty habit and other people shouldn't have to suffer from it. I want to quit soooooo badly and the harder they make it on smokers to smoke, the easier it will be to quit! Even my chimney husband is doing something to help him quit!!! That is HUGE! He's NEVER said a word about wanting to quit smoking........ever!!! Praise God for the new law!!